Connect with us

Canadian News

Canada to issue stamp on Komagata Maru Tragedy on May 6, 2014

Published

on

By Ajit Jain

TORONTO: Interestingly, Canada Post has finally decided to issue the  official stamp to commemorate the Komagata Maru tragedy of 1914 that involved forced return of 376 passengers from the Vancouver Harbour to India.

This $2.50 stamp will be formally released in  Ottawa by federal Employment and Multicultural Minister Jason Kenney and Canada Post President and CEO Deepak Chopra on May 6.

In their promotional material, Canada Post explains history of the Komagata Maru, saying “the South Asian community is proud that part of its history is being remembered” through Canada Post issuing the Komagata Mary stamp.

It reminds Canadians  of the 376 passengers, only 20 were allowed to disembark from the ship that was berthed in the Burrard inlet My 23, 1914.  Those 20 passengers were categorized as returning passengers who were earlier in Canada and were coming back from  India.  Others were forcibly turned  back as under ‘the Continuous Journey Act,” only the vessel that sailed directly from the country of origin to Canada, without stopping on its  way for whatever be the purpose, would be allowed to disembark its  passengers and that, during that period was not possible, as the vessels had to stop on their way for refueling and for supplies.

“The Komagata Maru Foundation has done a good job educating people in the South Asian community, but there are still many Canadians who do not know  about the incident,” explains Foundation President Harbhajan Gill.

“We’d love this stamp to prompt questions.  This is part of Canadian history.”

Some people said despite this being a historical decision to recount Canadian history, Canada Post is doing a half-hearted job as it’s issuing only $$2.50 Komagata Maru stamp.  It means as an international stamp (which’s $2.50 denomination), it will only be used by  Canadians  for  mailing international letters  (United States not included).  So, Canadians won’t be able to see it while receiving mail or sending mail within the country, says Toronto-based stamp collector Prakash Mody.

Moreover, to his dismay, Canada Post is  printing only 250,000 of these stamps and not usual 1.5-million stamps.  “If Canada Post wanted to publicize (as they mentioned in their write-up) this historical event, then they could have issued (and should have) issued this stamp of regular Canadian rate (58 cents) and  should have printed their normal run of 1.5-million stamps,” he says.

When approached, Canada Post President Chopra said he would make a statement and answer any questions related to this stamp on May 6 when the stamp will be formally released .

“Forced to leave Vancouver on July 23 (1914), the passengers (aboard Komagata Maru) returned to India, where approximately 20 of them were shot and others imprisoned.

“Even though it was a sad event, Canadians should take away a happy message.  We’ve learned ferom those mistakes and made positive, inspiring change in 100years,” says Gill.  “We’re a new Canada, one that treats everyone as equal.”

Mody has for years been pursuing with Canada Post the idea of a Diwali stamp, as Diwali in Canada and elsewhere is no more deemed only as a Hindu Festival.  It has assumed to some extent the same meaning as Christmas.  Most Canadians now know what the Festival of Lights is.

Canadian News

Ontario to reopen province, guiding principles unveiled

Published

on

Ontario to reopen province, guiding principles unveiled

THE Ontario government on Monday released A Framework for Reopening our Province, which outlines the criteria Ontario’s Chief Medical Officer of Health and health experts will use to advise the government on the loosening of emergency measures, as well as guiding principles for the safe, gradual reopening of businesses, services and public spaces.

The framework also provides details of an outreach strategy, led by the Ontario Jobs and Recovery Committee, to help inform the restart of the provincial economy.

Details were provided by Premier Doug Ford, Rod Phillips, Minister of Finance, Vic Fedeli, Minister of Economic Development, Job Creation and Trade, and Christine Elliott, Deputy Premier and Minister of Health.

“Our top priority remains protecting the health and safety of the people of Ontario and supporting our frontline heroes as we do everything in our power to contain and defeat this deadly virus,” said Ford. “At the same time, we are preparing for the responsible restart of our economy. This next phase of our response to COVID-19 is designed to help us map out what needs to be done, and when, to get us back on the road to recovery.”

The government is planning a stage-by-stage approach to reopening the economy to ensure there are appropriate measures in place so workplaces can open safely. Public health officials will carefully monitor each stage for two to four weeks, as they assess the evolution of the COVID-19 outbreak to determine if it is necessary to change course to maintain public health.

  • Stage 1: For businesses that were ordered to close or restrict operations, opening select workplaces that can immediately modify operations to meet public health guidance. Opening some outdoor spaces like parks and allowing for a greater number of individuals to attend some events. Hospitals would also begin to offer some non-urgent and scheduled surgeries, and other health care services.
  • Stage 2: Opening more workplaces, based on risk assessments, which may include some service industries and additional office and retail workplaces. Some larger public gatherings would be allowed, and more outdoor spaces would open.
  • Stage 3: Opening of all workplaces responsibly and further relaxing of restrictions on public gatherings.

Throughout each stage, continued protections for vulnerable populations must be in place, along with the continued practice of physical distancing, hand washing and respiratory hygiene, and significant mitigation plans to limit health risks.

“Recent public health indicators show us that we’re beginning to turn a corner in the COVID-19 outbreak, while economic data, feedback from businesses and insights from our communities are outlining how we need to plan for economic recovery,” said Phillips. “Turning on an economy after an unprecedented shut-down is not as simple as flipping a switch. We need to plan this out carefully to ensure we do not spark a sudden outbreak, undo the progress we have made and put the safety of the public at risk.”

To reopen the economy, the government will consider factors such as the risk of the spread of COVID-19 and the ability to implement protective measures to keep workplaces safe. The Chief Medical Officer of Health and health experts will provide advice to the government about easing public health measures using a range of set criteria, including:

  • A consistent two-to-four week decrease in the number of new daily COVID-19 cases;
  • Sufficient acute and critical care capacity, including access to ventilators and ongoing availability of personal protective equipment;
  • Approximately 90 per cent of new COVID-19 contacts are being reached by local public health officials within one day, with guidance and direction to contain community spread; and
  • Ongoing testing of suspected COVID-19 cases, especially of vulnerable populations, to detect new outbreaks quickly.

“It is because of the collective efforts of all Ontarians to stay at home and stop the spread of COVID-19 that we are able to consider plans to move into the next phase of our battle against this virus,” said Elliott. “The Chief Medical Officer of Health has outlined some criteria he will use to advise government on when we may begin to slowly and safely ease public health measures and restart our economy. To be able to do so, w e need everyone to continue their extraordinary efforts so that we can meet these thresholds and begin to move forward.”

Supporting the next phases of Ontario’s Action Plan, the new Ontario Jobs and Recovery Committee, chaired by Minister Phillips, will be consulting with key sectors in all regions to assess the impact of COVID-19 on the provincial economy and develop a plan to move forward. The government and Members of Provincial Parliament will lead discussions with business associations, chambers of commerce, municipal leaders, the postsecondary sector, corporate leaders, small business owners, community and social service providers, Indigenous partners, Franco-Ontarians, entrepreneurs and others.

The work of the committee will build on Ontario’s Action Plan: Responding to COVID-19, the first phase of the government’s $17 billion response, that is delivering targeted relief for businesses and families across Ontario.

“The COVID-19 outbreak has had far-reaching economic impacts for businesses and communities across Ontario,” said Fedeli. “In the face of these challenges, businesses and individuals have stepped up to support our frontline workers, produce essential equipment and keep our supply chains moving. Our plan to carefully and methodically reopen Ontario’s economy will ensure that businesses are supported on our path to renewed economic prosperity.”

Continue Reading

Canadian News

Stephen Lecce, Ontario education minister appoints investigator to examine Peel District School Board

Published

on

Ontario education minister appoints investigator to examine Peel District School Board

ONTARIO’S Minister of Education, Stephen Lecce, on Tuesday announced he has appointed Arleen Huggins to conduct an investigation into the Peel District School Board’s compliance with the Minister’s binding Directions to the Board issued on March 13.

“We expect our school leaders – trustees, senior administration, and educators – to ensure all students are learning in safe and inclusive classrooms,” said Lecce. “This is why effective, transparent, and accountable school board governance is essential to the success and well-being of students in Ontario’s publicly funded schools.”

Huggins is a practising lawyer with 30 years experience in employment law, human rights law, workplace harassment and discrimination investigations and commercial litigation. She is a former President of the Canadian Association of Black Lawyers and a Former Chair of both the Canadian Bar Association Standing Committee on Equity and the Ontario Bar Association Equal Opportunity Committee.  Huggins was also on the founding Board of the African Canadian Legal Clinic and has served on the Doctors Without Borders Human Resources Committee and the federal Judicial Appointments Advisory Committee (JAAC) for the GTA.

With the issuance of 27 binding Directions to the Board on March 13, the minister provided clear direction with specific timelines and deliverables to address systemic discrimination, particularly anti-Black racism, as well as dysfunctional governance, leadership and human resources practices within the PDSB.

“When it comes to confronting racism and discrimination, I will not accept delay or inaction,” added Lecce. “The message I am sending is — do better. Our kids deserve better. And I will do whatever it takes to ensure these issues are addressed immediately and effectively.”

The Ontario Government said it is committed to ensuring PDSB complies with the minister’s binding directions so that parents, students and the community get the positive change that they need and deserve.

Huggins will deliver her report to the minister on or before May 18.

The PDSB is responsible for 257 schools in Brampton, Mississauga and Caledon, and over 155,000 students representing a rich array of racial, ethnic, linguistic and religious backgrounds.

Continue Reading

Canadian News

COVID-19″ More Indo-Canadians returning are from India

Published

on

More flights carrying Canadians leave India

CANADIAN High Commissioner in New Delhi, Nadir Patel, tweeted on Wednesday morning that the 15th special flight from India to Canada – had left Mumbai, bringing home more Canadian travelers stranded in India.

He added: “More special flights taking place in the coming days, thanks to all for your patience while we work through the complexities.”

On Tuesday, the 14th special flight with Canadians took off from Kolkata and Patel tweeted: “Huge thanks to our colleagues Australian High Commissioner Barry O’Farrell & his team for collaborating to make this happen.”

The 13th special flight with Canadians had departed from Bangalore on Monday, covering six states in the south.

And last Sunday (April 26) the 12th special flight from India departed from Ahmedabad, Gujarat, with nearly 300 Canadians aboard.

More flights carrying Canadians leave India

More flights carrying Canadians leave India

Continue Reading

Follow us on Twitter

Trending

css.php
Skip to toolbar