NORTH VANCOUVER, British Columbia – Andrew Saxton, Member of Parliament for North Vancouver, on behalf of the Honourable Julian Fantino, Associate Minister of National Defence, today announced $6.5 million in investment for upgrades and repairs to five Reserve facilities in Vancouver and North Vancouver.
The $6.5 million investment, in support of the Canadian Armed Forces, will take place over the next two years and include a range of work consisting in roofing replacements, plumbing, heating systems to doors, windows and lighting.
These renovations will include the following Reserve facilities:
- The Lt.-Col JP Fell Armoury, in North Vancouver, a $1.4 million project, will consist of a variety of upgrades or replacements, such as roof, boiler systems, fire sprinkler system upgrades and renovations to the Mess Hall.
- In Vancouver, a $5.1 million project will include repairs and upgrades to interior and exterior finishings, roof, gutters and drainage systems at the Beatty Street Armoury, the Naval Reserve Division, as well as the Seaforth and Bessborough armouries.
- The federal infrastructure investments, announced by Prime Minister Harper in November 2014, will build and renew infrastructure across the country, creating jobs and economic prosperity for local communities.
- The Department of National Defence has received $452 million for the repair and upgrade of Canadian Armed Forces facilities.
- Over the next two years, $135 million will be invested in projects involving repairs to roofs, siding, plumbing, and heating and ventilation system at Armouries across Canada. By completing this work, DND will ultimately improve the efficiency and reduce maintenance costs at these facilities.
- The Government estimates that accelerated investments will also support the creation of over 10,000 jobs in communities across Canada, including the Metro Vancouver area, by the end of 2016.
“It is my pleasure to be here at the Lt. Col. J.P. Fell Armoury, in North Vancouver, among the proud Reservists in British Columbia to announce these important infrastructure projects for Metro Vancouver. As we continue to upgrade Canadian Armed Forces facilities across Canada, we provide support to our men and women in uniform, and promote growth and prosperity in communities across the country.”
Andrew Saxton, Member of Parliament for North Vancouver
“Our Government stands firmly behind our brave men and women in the Canadian Armed Forces. Infrastructure investments at this armoury, and to Reserve facilities across the country, ensure that our CAF members have the support they need to keep Canadians safe and secure, which is a key priority for our Government.”
The Honourable Julian Fantino, Associate Minister of National Defence