Islamabad: Pakistani Security forces Thursday killed at least 30 suspected militants in an operation in Pakistan’s southwestern Balochistan province, an official said.
Provincial Home Minister Mir Sarfaraz Bugti said one security man was also killed and eight others were injured during the operation in Dera Bugti district, Xinhua reported.
Several militant groups are fighting the security forces in Balochistan, which borders Afghanistan and Iran.
Bugti said security personnel launched the operation in different parts on a tip-off that militants were hiding there, adding the forces faced stiff resistance from them.
The minister did not say as to which group was targeted during the operation.
Bugti said the forces also destroyed eight camps of the rebels and recovered explosives, 50 anti-personnel mines, arms and ammunition from them.
The Frontier Corps also rescued two hostages from the custody of the militants. Both had been kidnapped for ransom.
Bugti said the search operation was carried out in response to rebel attacks against important government installations and security forces.
“The government would go after the militants and would continue operations to protect life and property of the people,” he said.
Official sources said that some of the rebels had earlier attacked paramilitary troops in southern Sindh province, killing two people. The militants later fled to Balochistan.