Mumbai: A Mumbai court Monday issued a warrant to present suspected Lashkar-e-Taiba terrorist Abu Jindal Hamza, who was nabbed by Delhi Police last week for his links to the 2008 terror attack here, a police official said. “A team of Mumbai Police will travel to New Delhi shortly to seek Jindal’s transit remand for investigations and trial in Mumbai,” said the official, requesting anonymity.
The warrant was issued by Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate (ACMM) P.S. Rathod on an application filed by the 26/11 case Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam and investigating officer Ramesh Mahale.
Hamza, 30, was arrested from Delhi airport June 21 after his deportation to India from a Gulf country. He was sent to 15 days’ police custody by a Delhi court the same day.
Nikam informed ACMM Rathod that Hamza was a part of the criminal conspiracy hatched in Pakistan for the terror attack in which 166 people were killed.
According to Nikam, Hamza taught Hindi to the 10 Pakistani attackers, of whom nine were killed in the combined security forces’ operation lasting 60 hours.
The lone survivor was Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, who has been sentenced to death by Indian courts.
Nikam added that Hamza was handling the group from Karachi during the attack and Kasab had confessed to this in his statement before a Mumbai magistrate.
In the confession recorded by Special Judge M.L. Tahaliyani July 20-22, 2009, Kasab said that Hamza was an Indian who remained in telephonic contact with the militant group during the attack at Chabad House. Kasab Jan 22, 2010 retracted from the confessional statement.
Jindal is an electrician by profession and hails from Beed district in Maharashtra, police said.