Connect with us

SOUTH ASIA

Dec 16 Gang-rape Victim’s Mother Pleads For Justice

Published

on

        Dec 16 Gang-rape Victim's Mother Pleads For Justice


Dec 16 Gang-rape Victim’s Mother Pleads For Justice

New Delhi: The mother of Dec 16 gang rape victim Friday pleaded, with tears in her eyes and folded hands, to the fast-track court to “give justice to her daughter”.

The mother of 23-year-old physiotherapy student, who was gang-raped by six men in a moving bus on Dec 16 last year, appeared before Additional Sessions Judge Yogesh Khanna to depose as a prosecution witness in the case.

“Give justice to my daughter,” said the mother after her cross-examination.

She was cross-examined by the counsels of accused Vinay Sharma, Pawan Gupta and Akshay Thakur.

Accused Mukesh’s counsel refused to cross-examine the mother saying that she had lost a daughter and does not want to hurt her feelings by asking questions.

During her cross-examination, victim’s mother said the victim was her eldest child and was studying at Dehradun and was in Delhi during her vacation from first week of November.

The victim’s mother said that on the day of incident, she (her daughter) told her that she would watch a movie with her male friend (complainant), adding that even earlier, her daughter sometimes went to watch movies at a cinema house.

She said she knew her daughter’s male friend for the last two years as he used to visit his uncle who resides in their neighbourhood, adding that her daughter had talked to her friend on phone prior to the incident but never talked with his parents.

Detailing the sequence of events that fateful day, she said her daughter left the house at 4 p.m., telling her that she had to make some purchases and would also watch a movie. “When she left the house she was carrying her mobile and an ATM card.”

“When she did not return till about 9 p.m., then I made a call on her mobile. However, her phone was switched off. My husband then returned from his office and I informed him that she (daughter) had not reached the home. We both were very worried about our daughter,” the mother added.

She said she had also called her daughter’s friend, but his phone was also switched off, adding that her son had his mobile number.

The mother said that at 11 p.m., she received a call from the police that something had happened to her daughter and asked her to come to Safdarjang Hospital.

“At about 11 p.m. I received a call from the PCR informing me that some incident had happened with my daughter and I was asked to come to Safdarjang Hospital immediately. I, along with my husband, rushed to the hospital and there I found my daughter admitted in emergency (ward). I could not talk to my daughter at that time as she was being taken for operation,” she said.

The victim’s mother, who reached the court with her husband and son, told the court that her daughter was not able to speak on Dec 26 before she was taken to Singapore, and the last time they talked was on the night of Dec 25.

“I went to Singapore with my daughter on the night of Dec 26 and we reached there on Dec 27. My husband, my two sons, doctors and medical staff went with us,” she added.

The victim died on Dec 29 in Singapore and her body was handed over to the family at Indira Gandhi International Airport here, the mother said in her cross-examination.

Her statement was recorded by police in the hospital, she added.

The 23-year-old woman was brutally tortured and gang-raped in the bus by five men and a juvenile.

The juvenile is facing proceedings before a Juvenile Justice Board, while the four other accused were put up for trial in the fast-track court. One of the accused allegedly committed suicide in jail.

SOUTH ASIA

Pakistani Anti-graft body wants travel ban on Nawaz Sharif, kin

Published

on

Nawaz sharif

Pakistan’s anti-corruption watchdog has asked authorities to place ousted premier Nawaz Sharif, his daughter and son-in-law on the Exit Control List to prevent them from leaving the country.

The National Accountability Bureau (NAB) sent a formal request to the ministry of interior. The interior ministry officials confirmed that the NAB wrote that names of Sharif, his daughter Maryam Nawaz and son-in-law Capt (retd) Muhammad Safdar should be put on the Exit Control List (ECL), which listed individuals not allowed to leave Pakistan.

The NAB argued that as the trial of the three nears its conclusion, it is feared that they would leave the country.

Earlier, a similar request to place name of finance minister Ishaq Dar on ECL was not accepted, allowing him to go to London and never return.

Sharif, 68, and his family this week filed an application with the accountability court seeking a fortnight’s exemption from personal appearance from February 19 onwards to let them go to London to see Sharif’s ailing wife. Three cases were filed against Sharif and his family last year, including Avenfield properties, Azizia & Hill Metal Establishment, and Flagship Investments.

Maryam and Safdar are accused only in Avenfield properties case. The NAB had filed two supplementary references against Sharif, his sons Hasan and Hussain regarding Al-Azizia Steel Mills & Hill Metal Establishment and Flagship Investment cases.

Continue Reading

SOUTH ASIA

Pakistan “breaches obligations’ on nuclear arms reduction, UN court told

Published

on

Pakistan-breaches-obligations-on-nuclear-arms-reduction,-UN-court-told

The Hague: Pakistan is violating its “obligations” to the international community by failing to reduce its nuclear arsenal, the Marshall Islands told the UN’s highest court on Tuesday.

The small Pacific Island nation is this week launching three unusual cases against India, Pakistan and Britain before the International Court of Justice.

Majuro wants to put a new spotlight on the global nuclear threat, its lawyers said yesterday, by using its own experience with massive US-led nuclear tests in the 1940s and 1950s.

“Pakistan is in breach of its obligations owed to the international community as a whole,” when it comes to reducing its nuclear stockpile, said Nicholas Grief, one of the island nation’s lawyers.

Islamabad and its nuclear-armed neighbour India “continue to engage in a quantitative build-up and a qualitative improvement” of their atomic stockpiles, added Tony deBrum, a Marshallese government minister.

DeBrum warned that even a “limited nuclear war” involving the two countries would “threaten the existence” of his island nation people.

Pakistan and India have fought three wars since independence from Britain in 1947, two of them over the disputed Himalayan territory of Kashmir.

In 1998, the rival neighbours both demonstrated nuclear weapons capability.

The ICJ’s judges are holding hearings for the next week and a half to decide whether it is competent to hear the lawsuits brought against India and Pakistan — neither of which have signed the 1968 nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT).

A third hearing against Britain — which has signed the NPT — scheduled to start on Wednesday will be devoted to “preliminary objections” raised by London.

The Marshalls initially sought to bring a case against nine countries it said possessed nuclear arms: Britain, China, France, India, Israel, North Korea, Pakistan, Russia and the United States.
Israel has never admitted to having nuclear weapons.

But the Hague-based ICJ, set up in 1945 to rule in disputes between states, has only admitted three cases against Britain, India and Pakistan, because they have accepted the ICJ’s compulsory jurisdiction.

Pakistan’s lawyers did not attend Tuesday’s hearings.

It did however file a counter-claim against Majuro’s allegations saying “the court has no jurisdiction to deal with the application” and insisting that the case is “not admissible”, said ICJ President Ronny Abraham.

Continue Reading

SOUTH ASIA

Bangladesh to drop Islam as official religion following attacks on Hindus

Published

on

Bangladesh to drop Islam as official religion following attacks on Hindus

New Delhi: Bangladesh is likely to drop Islam as its official religion following a series of attacks on people from other faiths in the country. The country’s Supreme Court is hearing a plea challenging the status of the official religion of the country to Islam.

Bangladesh, which was declared a secular country after its formation in 1971, was declared an Islamic country following a constitutional amendment in 1988.

According to a report in the Daily Mail, the plea has challenged the declaration of Islam as the national religion of the country.

The move is being supported by leaders from the minority communities like Hindus, Christians and Muslim minority Shiites.

Bangladesh has 90 per cent of Muslims, 8 per cent Hindus and remaining constitutes Christians and Muslim minority Shiites.

In last month, a Hindu priest was hacked to death following an attack on a temple in Panchgarh district. Two others were seriously injured in the attack. There have been several lethal attacks on writers and bloggers.

According to a report in the Independent, Islamist groups Jumatul Mujahedeen Bangladesh and Ansarullah Bangla Team are believed to have carried out at least seven attacks on foreign and minority people in Bangladesh in the past year.

terror-on-hindus-in-bd-viii

Temple

Hindu-temple-attacked

Continue Reading

Follow us on Twitter

Trending

css.php
Skip to toolbar