‘We Live In World’s Most Troubled Neighbourhood’
Indians live in the most troubled neighbourhood in the world, union home minister P Chidambaram said on a day the Maharashtra Anti-Terrorist Squad (ATS) took over investigation of the three near-simultaneous blasts that claimed 17 lives and injured 131 others in Mumbai. “All cities in India are vulnerable to attack. Pakistan-Afghanistan is the epicentre of terror,” Chidambaram added.
Admitting that there were no intelligence inputs at the national or state level on the blasts, he said all groups involved in terror activities within and outside the country were ‘on the radar’. “We do not want to proceed with any kind of pre-supposition and speculation. All angles will be explored and leads followed without any pre-determination of cause,” Chidambaram, addressing the media at the state guest house Sahyadri, said.
While he confirmed that ammonium nitrate had been used, with a timer device, to trigger the blasts, Union home secretary RK Singh did not rule out the involvement of a suicide bomber. “The NSG DG has informed that a body with circuit has been found from one of the sites. We are not ruling out anything,” he told reporters in New Delhi.
Rakesh Maria, additional director general of the Maharashtra ATS said the squad with work closely with the crime branch and Central agencies to bring the perpetrators of Wednesday’s attack to book. Three FIRs have been registered at police stations near the blast sites, and close to a dozen teams of police officers drawn from the ATS and the crime branch have been formed to look into the case, he said.
In Bhubaneswar, Rahul Gandhi expressed condolences for family members of blast victims and was reported by agencies as saying that it was difficult to stop every single terror attack in the country. He said even US forces in Afghanistan had become a victim of terror attacks.
Uttar Pradesh chief minister Mayawati criticised Rahul for his comments, saying they were “unfortunate and irresponsible” and could demoralise people. Comparing the Mumbai blasts with the situation in Afghanisation was improper, she said. L K Advani, who visited the blast sites and those injured in hospitals, called the explosions a “policy failure” and said no talks should be held with Pakistan until it dismantled the infrastructure of terror.
Pakistani Anti-graft body wants travel ban on Nawaz Sharif, kin
Pakistan’s anti-corruption watchdog has asked authorities to place ousted premier Nawaz Sharif, his daughter and son-in-law on the Exit Control List to prevent them from leaving the country.
The National Accountability Bureau (NAB) sent a formal request to the ministry of interior. The interior ministry officials confirmed that the NAB wrote that names of Sharif, his daughter Maryam Nawaz and son-in-law Capt (retd) Muhammad Safdar should be put on the Exit Control List (ECL), which listed individuals not allowed to leave Pakistan.
The NAB argued that as the trial of the three nears its conclusion, it is feared that they would leave the country.
Earlier, a similar request to place name of finance minister Ishaq Dar on ECL was not accepted, allowing him to go to London and never return.
Sharif, 68, and his family this week filed an application with the accountability court seeking a fortnight’s exemption from personal appearance from February 19 onwards to let them go to London to see Sharif’s ailing wife. Three cases were filed against Sharif and his family last year, including Avenfield properties, Azizia & Hill Metal Establishment, and Flagship Investments.
Maryam and Safdar are accused only in Avenfield properties case. The NAB had filed two supplementary references against Sharif, his sons Hasan and Hussain regarding Al-Azizia Steel Mills & Hill Metal Establishment and Flagship Investment cases.
Pakistan “breaches obligations’ on nuclear arms reduction, UN court told
The Hague: Pakistan is violating its “obligations” to the international community by failing to reduce its nuclear arsenal, the Marshall Islands told the UN’s highest court on Tuesday.
The small Pacific Island nation is this week launching three unusual cases against India, Pakistan and Britain before the International Court of Justice.
Majuro wants to put a new spotlight on the global nuclear threat, its lawyers said yesterday, by using its own experience with massive US-led nuclear tests in the 1940s and 1950s.
“Pakistan is in breach of its obligations owed to the international community as a whole,” when it comes to reducing its nuclear stockpile, said Nicholas Grief, one of the island nation’s lawyers.
DeBrum warned that even a “limited nuclear war” involving the two countries would “threaten the existence” of his island nation people.
Pakistan and India have fought three wars since independence from Britain in 1947, two of them over the disputed Himalayan territory of Kashmir.
In 1998, the rival neighbours both demonstrated nuclear weapons capability.
The ICJ’s judges are holding hearings for the next week and a half to decide whether it is competent to hear the lawsuits brought against India and Pakistan — neither of which have signed the 1968 nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT).
A third hearing against Britain — which has signed the NPT — scheduled to start on Wednesday will be devoted to “preliminary objections” raised by London.
The Marshalls initially sought to bring a case against nine countries it said possessed nuclear arms: Britain, China, France, India, Israel, North Korea, Pakistan, Russia and the United States.
Israel has never admitted to having nuclear weapons.
But the Hague-based ICJ, set up in 1945 to rule in disputes between states, has only admitted three cases against Britain, India and Pakistan, because they have accepted the ICJ’s compulsory jurisdiction.
Pakistan’s lawyers did not attend Tuesday’s hearings.
It did however file a counter-claim against Majuro’s allegations saying “the court has no jurisdiction to deal with the application” and insisting that the case is “not admissible”, said ICJ President Ronny Abraham.
Bangladesh to drop Islam as official religion following attacks on Hindus
New Delhi: Bangladesh is likely to drop Islam as its official religion following a series of attacks on people from other faiths in the country. The country’s Supreme Court is hearing a plea challenging the status of the official religion of the country to Islam.
Bangladesh, which was declared a secular country after its formation in 1971, was declared an Islamic country following a constitutional amendment in 1988.
According to a report in the Daily Mail, the plea has challenged the declaration of Islam as the national religion of the country.
The move is being supported by leaders from the minority communities like Hindus, Christians and Muslim minority Shiites.
Bangladesh has 90 per cent of Muslims, 8 per cent Hindus and remaining constitutes Christians and Muslim minority Shiites.
In last month, a Hindu priest was hacked to death following an attack on a temple in Panchgarh district. Two others were seriously injured in the attack. There have been several lethal attacks on writers and bloggers.
According to a report in the Independent, Islamist groups Jumatul Mujahedeen Bangladesh and Ansarullah Bangla Team are believed to have carried out at least seven attacks on foreign and minority people in Bangladesh in the past year.