Connect with us

SOUTH ASIA

Witness Reneges On Statement In Salman Case

Published

on

 Witness Reneges On Statement In Salman Case


Witness Reneges On Statement In Salman Case

Mumbai: In a twist in the Salman Khan accident case, a witness in the Sessions Court here Tuesday reneged on his earlier statement made before the police.

Sachin Kadam, a security guard with Hotel Neelsagar restaurant, informed Sessions Judge D.W. Deshpande that his earlier statement recorded by the police was wrong.

“My statement that I saw Salman Khan coming out of the driver’s seat and running away from the (accident) site is incorrect,” Kadam told the court.

However, Kadam was unable to explain during the ongoing re-trial here why police recorded a ‘false version’ of his statement.

In his earlier statement to police, Kadam had said he saw Khan alighting from the driver’s seat of his SUV and leaving the accident scene.

On Tuesday, Kadam said he informed police that a large car came and hit the shutter of a shop.

Public Prosecutor Jagannath Kenralkar immediately demanded that Kadam be declared a “hostile witness” as he did not support the prosecution, but the court did not pass any order on this.

During cross-examination, Kadam told Salman Khan’s lawyer Shrikant Shivade that he had not witnessed the accident since he was on duty at the restaurant gate that night.

He said the restaurant gate was opposite the bakery and laundry where the SUV was involved in the accident Sep 28, 2002, killing one person and injuring four others.

Kadam said he heard a loud noice and went to see what happened.

M. Shaikh, another witness and an injured who was examined Tuesday, said he saw Salman Khan standing at the accident site after he (Shaikh) was helped out from below the car by people there.

“It was a big white car. I saw Salman Khan after I was rescued and there were two other people but I did not recognise them,” Shaikh told the court.

Shaikh, who was later admitted to the Bhabha Hospital with a fracture, said he was sleeping with Narullah and others outside the bakery at the time of the accident.

Later, he learnt that Narullah died in the accident.

In his cross-examination, Shaikh said he did not see Salman Khan helping out in the rescue work as he (Shaikh) was under the vehicle for 10-15 minutes and could not see who was around.

“Police took away the vehicle, but I cannot say how it was taken away. Narullah and I were under the vehicle and screaming for help. Local taxi drivers and bakery workers who rescued us were shouting that Salman Khan was responsible for the accident,” Shaikh said.

Shaikh said he informed police about Salman Khan meeting with an accident. “But I can’t say why this was not recorded by police in my statement,” he added.

The two witnesses’ testimony came Tuesday, the second day after the hearing resumed in the retrial in the hit-and-run case.

Salman Khan faced an additional charge of culpable homicide not amounting to murder which attracts a 10-year jail term.

On Monday, two witnesses testified and identified Salman Khan, while last month, three other witnesses had testified before the court and also identified the actor in the case in which the retrial started April 28.

Salman Khan is accused of driving his SUV onto a pavement in Bandra Sep 28, 2002, in which one person was killed and four other injured.

On Dec 5, 2013, a Mumbai court ordered retrial in the case.

SOUTH ASIA

Pakistani Anti-graft body wants travel ban on Nawaz Sharif, kin

Published

on

Nawaz sharif

Pakistan’s anti-corruption watchdog has asked authorities to place ousted premier Nawaz Sharif, his daughter and son-in-law on the Exit Control List to prevent them from leaving the country.

The National Accountability Bureau (NAB) sent a formal request to the ministry of interior. The interior ministry officials confirmed that the NAB wrote that names of Sharif, his daughter Maryam Nawaz and son-in-law Capt (retd) Muhammad Safdar should be put on the Exit Control List (ECL), which listed individuals not allowed to leave Pakistan.

The NAB argued that as the trial of the three nears its conclusion, it is feared that they would leave the country.

Earlier, a similar request to place name of finance minister Ishaq Dar on ECL was not accepted, allowing him to go to London and never return.

Sharif, 68, and his family this week filed an application with the accountability court seeking a fortnight’s exemption from personal appearance from February 19 onwards to let them go to London to see Sharif’s ailing wife. Three cases were filed against Sharif and his family last year, including Avenfield properties, Azizia & Hill Metal Establishment, and Flagship Investments.

Maryam and Safdar are accused only in Avenfield properties case. The NAB had filed two supplementary references against Sharif, his sons Hasan and Hussain regarding Al-Azizia Steel Mills & Hill Metal Establishment and Flagship Investment cases.

Continue Reading

SOUTH ASIA

Pakistan “breaches obligations’ on nuclear arms reduction, UN court told

Published

on

Pakistan-breaches-obligations-on-nuclear-arms-reduction,-UN-court-told

The Hague: Pakistan is violating its “obligations” to the international community by failing to reduce its nuclear arsenal, the Marshall Islands told the UN’s highest court on Tuesday.

The small Pacific Island nation is this week launching three unusual cases against India, Pakistan and Britain before the International Court of Justice.

Majuro wants to put a new spotlight on the global nuclear threat, its lawyers said yesterday, by using its own experience with massive US-led nuclear tests in the 1940s and 1950s.

“Pakistan is in breach of its obligations owed to the international community as a whole,” when it comes to reducing its nuclear stockpile, said Nicholas Grief, one of the island nation’s lawyers.

Islamabad and its nuclear-armed neighbour India “continue to engage in a quantitative build-up and a qualitative improvement” of their atomic stockpiles, added Tony deBrum, a Marshallese government minister.

DeBrum warned that even a “limited nuclear war” involving the two countries would “threaten the existence” of his island nation people.

Pakistan and India have fought three wars since independence from Britain in 1947, two of them over the disputed Himalayan territory of Kashmir.

In 1998, the rival neighbours both demonstrated nuclear weapons capability.

The ICJ’s judges are holding hearings for the next week and a half to decide whether it is competent to hear the lawsuits brought against India and Pakistan — neither of which have signed the 1968 nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT).

A third hearing against Britain — which has signed the NPT — scheduled to start on Wednesday will be devoted to “preliminary objections” raised by London.

The Marshalls initially sought to bring a case against nine countries it said possessed nuclear arms: Britain, China, France, India, Israel, North Korea, Pakistan, Russia and the United States.
Israel has never admitted to having nuclear weapons.

But the Hague-based ICJ, set up in 1945 to rule in disputes between states, has only admitted three cases against Britain, India and Pakistan, because they have accepted the ICJ’s compulsory jurisdiction.

Pakistan’s lawyers did not attend Tuesday’s hearings.

It did however file a counter-claim against Majuro’s allegations saying “the court has no jurisdiction to deal with the application” and insisting that the case is “not admissible”, said ICJ President Ronny Abraham.

Continue Reading

SOUTH ASIA

Bangladesh to drop Islam as official religion following attacks on Hindus

Published

on

Bangladesh to drop Islam as official religion following attacks on Hindus

New Delhi: Bangladesh is likely to drop Islam as its official religion following a series of attacks on people from other faiths in the country. The country’s Supreme Court is hearing a plea challenging the status of the official religion of the country to Islam.

Bangladesh, which was declared a secular country after its formation in 1971, was declared an Islamic country following a constitutional amendment in 1988.

According to a report in the Daily Mail, the plea has challenged the declaration of Islam as the national religion of the country.

The move is being supported by leaders from the minority communities like Hindus, Christians and Muslim minority Shiites.

Bangladesh has 90 per cent of Muslims, 8 per cent Hindus and remaining constitutes Christians and Muslim minority Shiites.

In last month, a Hindu priest was hacked to death following an attack on a temple in Panchgarh district. Two others were seriously injured in the attack. There have been several lethal attacks on writers and bloggers.

According to a report in the Independent, Islamist groups Jumatul Mujahedeen Bangladesh and Ansarullah Bangla Team are believed to have carried out at least seven attacks on foreign and minority people in Bangladesh in the past year.

terror-on-hindus-in-bd-viii

Temple

Hindu-temple-attacked

Continue Reading

Follow us on Twitter

Trending

css.php
Skip to toolbar