Connect with us

SOUTH ASIA

Ottawa Encourages Private Sponsorship Of Refugees

Published

on


Ottawa: The Government of Canada and the Anglican Church celebrated a joint agreement under which approximately 50 refugee families have been brought to this country from countries such as Afghanistan, Somalia and Iran.

“Canada has a long and proud tradition of providing a safe haven to those around the world most in need of protection,” said Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism Minister Jason Kenney.

“Volunteer groups such as the Anglican Church have played an integral role in helping refugees come to and settle in Canada. I strongly encourage groups to come together to sponsor refugees and help provide a new secure beginning for victims of persecution from around the world.”

The agreement has allowed approximately 150 refugees to be brought to Canada by Anglican dioceses that hold sponsorship agreements with the Government.

The families were selected by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees and referred to Canada for resettlement. This initiative, which was launched in April 2009, was part of the 50th anniversary celebrations of the Primate’s World Relief and Development Fund established by the Anglican Church.

The fund is the Church’s agency for relief, development and supporting refugees, and works with dioceses that sponsor refugee families to come to Canada.

“The Refugees Project, featuring a theme of ‘In Faith, Join Hands, Inspire Hope,’ was one of the most exciting initiatives associated with the 50th anniversary of the Fund,” said Archbishop and Primate Fred Hiltz.

“I thank all those who in faith joined hands to welcome the refugees they sponsored and to support them in their settlement in Canada. I pray that our ongoing commitment to accompany them will inspire hope for their future.”

The refugee families came from a number of different areas around the world: Afghanistan, Burma (Myanmar), Colombia, Democratic Republic of Congo, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Iran, Iraq, Liberia, Somalia, Sri Lanka and Sudan.

The Government of Canada is increasing by 20 percent the number of refugees who are resettled from refugee camps and urban slums. The number of refugees resettled through the Government-Assisted Refugees Program will be increased over time by up to 500, and a further 2,000 resettlement places will be added to the Private Sponsorship of Refugees Program.

Since 1978, private sponsors have collectively brought more than 200,000 refugees to Canada, over and above the refugees resettled with government funding.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

SOUTH ASIA

Pakistani Anti-graft body wants travel ban on Nawaz Sharif, kin

Published

on

Nawaz sharif

Pakistan’s anti-corruption watchdog has asked authorities to place ousted premier Nawaz Sharif, his daughter and son-in-law on the Exit Control List to prevent them from leaving the country.

The National Accountability Bureau (NAB) sent a formal request to the ministry of interior. The interior ministry officials confirmed that the NAB wrote that names of Sharif, his daughter Maryam Nawaz and son-in-law Capt (retd) Muhammad Safdar should be put on the Exit Control List (ECL), which listed individuals not allowed to leave Pakistan.

The NAB argued that as the trial of the three nears its conclusion, it is feared that they would leave the country.

Earlier, a similar request to place name of finance minister Ishaq Dar on ECL was not accepted, allowing him to go to London and never return.

Sharif, 68, and his family this week filed an application with the accountability court seeking a fortnight’s exemption from personal appearance from February 19 onwards to let them go to London to see Sharif’s ailing wife. Three cases were filed against Sharif and his family last year, including Avenfield properties, Azizia & Hill Metal Establishment, and Flagship Investments.

Maryam and Safdar are accused only in Avenfield properties case. The NAB had filed two supplementary references against Sharif, his sons Hasan and Hussain regarding Al-Azizia Steel Mills & Hill Metal Establishment and Flagship Investment cases.

Continue Reading

SOUTH ASIA

Pakistan “breaches obligations’ on nuclear arms reduction, UN court told

Published

on

Pakistan-breaches-obligations-on-nuclear-arms-reduction,-UN-court-told

The Hague: Pakistan is violating its “obligations” to the international community by failing to reduce its nuclear arsenal, the Marshall Islands told the UN’s highest court on Tuesday.

The small Pacific Island nation is this week launching three unusual cases against India, Pakistan and Britain before the International Court of Justice.

Majuro wants to put a new spotlight on the global nuclear threat, its lawyers said yesterday, by using its own experience with massive US-led nuclear tests in the 1940s and 1950s.

“Pakistan is in breach of its obligations owed to the international community as a whole,” when it comes to reducing its nuclear stockpile, said Nicholas Grief, one of the island nation’s lawyers.

Islamabad and its nuclear-armed neighbour India “continue to engage in a quantitative build-up and a qualitative improvement” of their atomic stockpiles, added Tony deBrum, a Marshallese government minister.

DeBrum warned that even a “limited nuclear war” involving the two countries would “threaten the existence” of his island nation people.

Pakistan and India have fought three wars since independence from Britain in 1947, two of them over the disputed Himalayan territory of Kashmir.

In 1998, the rival neighbours both demonstrated nuclear weapons capability.

The ICJ’s judges are holding hearings for the next week and a half to decide whether it is competent to hear the lawsuits brought against India and Pakistan — neither of which have signed the 1968 nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT).

A third hearing against Britain — which has signed the NPT — scheduled to start on Wednesday will be devoted to “preliminary objections” raised by London.

The Marshalls initially sought to bring a case against nine countries it said possessed nuclear arms: Britain, China, France, India, Israel, North Korea, Pakistan, Russia and the United States.
Israel has never admitted to having nuclear weapons.

But the Hague-based ICJ, set up in 1945 to rule in disputes between states, has only admitted three cases against Britain, India and Pakistan, because they have accepted the ICJ’s compulsory jurisdiction.

Pakistan’s lawyers did not attend Tuesday’s hearings.

It did however file a counter-claim against Majuro’s allegations saying “the court has no jurisdiction to deal with the application” and insisting that the case is “not admissible”, said ICJ President Ronny Abraham.

Continue Reading

SOUTH ASIA

Bangladesh to drop Islam as official religion following attacks on Hindus

Published

on

Bangladesh to drop Islam as official religion following attacks on Hindus

New Delhi: Bangladesh is likely to drop Islam as its official religion following a series of attacks on people from other faiths in the country. The country’s Supreme Court is hearing a plea challenging the status of the official religion of the country to Islam.

Bangladesh, which was declared a secular country after its formation in 1971, was declared an Islamic country following a constitutional amendment in 1988.

According to a report in the Daily Mail, the plea has challenged the declaration of Islam as the national religion of the country.

The move is being supported by leaders from the minority communities like Hindus, Christians and Muslim minority Shiites.

Bangladesh has 90 per cent of Muslims, 8 per cent Hindus and remaining constitutes Christians and Muslim minority Shiites.

In last month, a Hindu priest was hacked to death following an attack on a temple in Panchgarh district. Two others were seriously injured in the attack. There have been several lethal attacks on writers and bloggers.

According to a report in the Independent, Islamist groups Jumatul Mujahedeen Bangladesh and Ansarullah Bangla Team are believed to have carried out at least seven attacks on foreign and minority people in Bangladesh in the past year.

terror-on-hindus-in-bd-viii

Temple

Hindu-temple-attacked

Continue Reading

Follow us on Twitter

Trending

css.php
Skip to toolbar