Connect with us

New Canadians

Transportation options in Canada



Transportation options in Canada

Once you’ve secured housing, you’ll want to figure out your transportation situation. You have two options available to you:

1. Purchasing a car or
2. Using public transportation to get around.

1. Purchasing a car:
If you choose to purchase a car, you may want to opt for a used vehicle. Check with local car dealerships, the auto trade magazines (often free, you’ll find these are distributed on street corners in publication boxes), classified ads in your local newspaper or on bulletin boards at the grocery store, your local community centre, etc.

Be sure that the car meets emission and certification requirements in your province by having the owner take it with you to a local mechanic shop.

2. Using public transportation: 
This may be the more accessible transportation for you and your family to take in your first month. Contact your city’s transportation authority for information on monthly pass and ticket fares for buses and subway trains. Next, figure out the bus routes in your area, including times and ride duration, and all the key stops you’ll need to use.


Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


Help for Internationally Educated Nurses featured on OMNI TV



CARE Centre for Internationally Educated Nurses (IENs)is a bridge-training program funded by the Government of Ontario to help newcomer nurses obtain their nursing registration and re-start their careers in Canada. For more than 16 years, CARE Centre has supported over 4,000 nurses from 100+ countries around the world to achieve their nursing registration and return to the profession they love. In 2017 New Canadians aired an episode with a focus on CARE Centre’s Pre-Arrival Supports and Services (PASS) program when it was launched with funding from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.

CARE Centre will be featured in an episode of NEW CANADIANS TV Show, with the Ontario premiere to be broadcast on OMNI 2 Television, Friday, February 23rd at 9 am. There will be repeat broadcasts and the show will air in other parts of Canada as below:

Friday, Feb 23, 9:00 am (ET)
Sunday, Feb 25, 7:30 am
Monday, Feb 26, 12:00 pm
Friday, Feb 23, 9:00 am (ET)
Sunday, Feb 25, 7:30 am

OMNI BC / Pacific
Friday, Feb 23, 8:30 am (PT)
Thursday, March 1, 7:30 am
OMNI Alberta / Prairies
Thursday, Feb 22, 10:00 am (MT)
Sunday, Feb 25 7:30 am

NEW CANADIANS is a rich and informative web and TV show portraying stories of recent immigrants making Canada their home, produced by New Horizons Media, and hosted by Gerard Keledjian and Rachel Lee. The magazine-style presentations showcase settlement, education, employment and small business resources available to newcomers to help them maximize their chances of success and ease their integration into Canadian society and the workforce.

NEW CANADIANS profiles successful immigrants who have overcome many challenges and established themselves in Canada. Their stories are retold to inspire newcomers to pursue their dreams and realize their potential. These stories help prospective immigrants to better plan their future in Canada. The show also covers immigrant-related news and special events.Check airtimes at and for more about NEW CANADIANS visit

CARE Centre for IENs is a not-for-profit professional organization funded by the Ontario Government and the Government of Canada. CARE Centre provides IENs with the one-on-one case management, language and communication skills, exam preparation, professional development, mentoring and networking to be successful in the nursing profession. CARE Centre recognizes the value of nurses with diverse education and experience and is committed to advocating for their full contribution to Ontario’s health care system. CARE Centre for IENs is a registered charity (Charitable Number 84420 5948 RR0001). To learn more about CARE Centre and its work, please visit

Continue Reading


Money Management – 7 Biggest Money Mistakes




Everyone wants to be a baller. Everyone wants to find themselves rolling in dough. But unfortunately, many people make money mistakes that cause them to stay where they are, financially, rather than rise to the top. You might think you’re financially savvy, but you may be surprised. Are you making money mistakes? Read on and find out.

1. Losing out on interest

You need a liquid cash cushion for emergencies, so, you definitely need the money in your savings account, just in case. However, if you’re paying 15-20% interest on your credit card while earning 1.25% in savings you’re losing money. So after you’ve saved enough money for a rainy day, make sure to start paying off those credit cards.

2. Buying new over used

Sure buying something new might make you feel better, but it often doesn’t make any sense. Cars, for example, depreciate immediately after they leave the lot. So, there’s no need to shell out tons of money for the sticker price, when you can buy one that’s only been used for a year, and save yourself a significant chunk of change.

3. Being a “Gadget Addict”

Wasting time in line, and then paying top dollar for the latest gadget, is a major money waster. Being first is an expensive hobby. Just a few months waiting can assure you of getting the same product at a lower price, and one that’s probably been debugged.

4. Insisting on buying into brands

There’s no need to pay for brand name meds when you can get the same thing for a few dollars less. Generic meds have the same exact ingredients as brand name ones, at a fraction of the cost.

5. Buying books

Why pay retail prices for books when you can get it at the library for free? It may seem retro but the library is still around! And your local library has tons of books, and if they don’t have it, they can often order it online.

6. Not investing in retirement plans

If your employer is matching money there’s no reason not to sock money away from your 401(k). Not only are you missing out on saving for retirement, you’re missing out on tax deductions. Imagine that; tax-free income!

7. Paying for water

Water bottles are convenient; but the cost of them adds up. Buy an insulated water bottle and fill it up yourself. It’s not only better for the environment, it will also save you the money.

Continue Reading


How to applying for your Canadian SIN card, health care card and more



By Gloria Suhasini

Along with all the tasks we have covered so far, applying for documentation such as your Permanent Resident card, your social insurance number, driver’s licence and health card will be important to cover during your first month in Canada.

Let’s start with the Permanent Resident card…

Receiving your Permanent Resident card 

When you arrive in Canada, you’ll have to give an address for where your Permanent Resident card is to be sent. This card gives proof of your residency in Canada If you don’t have an address, CIC’s website will provide you will instructions on how to get your card. If you don’t get your Permanent Resident card within 30 days of being in Canada (and having provided CIC with a mailing address), you should call them at 1-888-242-2100 (it’s toll free).

You should note that if you don’t receive your card within 180 days of the day you entered the country, you’ll have to reapply for the card and pay a fee. Make sure you take care of this identification document before any others in your first month in Canada.

Social Insurance Number (SIN) card

The next documentation you will want to secure is a Social Insurance Number (SIN) card. You will require a SIN card to work legally in Canada. Your SIN is a nine-digit number — it’s a good idea to memorize it when you get your card. To get an application for a SIN card, just visit the nearest provincial human resources centre or contact CIC at 1-888-242-2100 for more information. Your local settlement agency or post office will also be able to supply you with a SIN cardapplication form.

Finally, you can download the form online from All you have to do is fill it in and submit it online with this option. Human Resources Canada will send you your SIN card in the mail. Note that there is a processing fee for requesting a SIN card.

Health insurance card

Another very important form of documentation that you will want to secure in your first month is a health card. Each member of your family will need his or her own health card — this includes small children and newborn babies. Each province has its own healthinsurance card, so you will have to apply for one via your provincial ministry of health office. 

To apply, you’ll need to show your birth certificate or Confirmation of Permanent Residence and your passport. You can also use your Permanent Resident card as well. Before applying, check to see what documentation your province requires and ensure you have it on hand when applying. 

Also note that in the provinces of Ontario, Quebec, British Columbia and New Brunswick, you will have to wait for 90 days before you can apply to a healthinsurance card. If you are settling in one of these provinces, it’s highly advisable that you secure private healthcare insurance in the interim. There are many options available to you, so do discuss this with a settlement agency representative or contact your provincial ministry of health office for advice on the bestinsurance company options to meet your needs. 

You can also go to any doctor’s office, walk-in clinic, pharmacy or hospital to obtain a form. It’s advisable that you connect with a settlement agency representative to help you fill out the form if you are unclear on any element of it, as this is a very important document. 

Your health insurance card will cover the following things: 

  • Hospital care 
  • Treatment and examinations performed by your family doctor
  • Many types of surgery
  • Many types of laboratory tests
  • Almost all immunizations
  • X-rays

However, your health insurance card will not cover: 

  • Various prescription drugs 
  • Dental care 
  • Prescriptions for glasses and contact lenses (in some provinces, your health insurance card will not cover visits to an optometrist, a.k.a. eye doctor) 
  • Ambulance services 

Note: When you gain employment, ask if your company offers a health benefits package, as many cover all or a portion of the cost associated with the services mentioned above that your provincial healthinsurance card does not cover. 

Driver’s licence 

In order to operate a motor vehicle in your province, you must obtain a driver’s licence. It’s the law — so if you do want to drive, get your driver’s licence first. You can use an international or foreign driver’s licence for up to 60 days in all provinces, but after that you will have to obtain a provincial driver’s licence. 

To start, you will want to contact the ministry of transportation in your province. Just go online and do a search for your province and “ministry of transportation” or call 1-800-387-3445 for general information on driver’s licences. 

Depending on the province, you may be subjected to going through training or a graduated system of testing (most provinces require this). Depending on your country of origin, you may or may not be subject to going through the fullapplication process for a driver’s licence. 

Note that the government does not pay for driver’s training and you may have to go to an accredited driving school in order to learn to drive if you do not know already (or if you do not have a friend or relative with a full licence who can teach you). 

Also note that in order to drive in any province, by law, you must have driver’s insurance from an accredited car insurance company. It’s also wise to keep a record of your car insurance from your country of origin that you will want to present to the insurance company when you apply for insurance, as many will note your experience and if you have a good driver’s record, it can help you get a better monthly payment rate. Yes,car insurance is costly, but know that it protects you and the other driver in case of an accident.

Continue Reading

Follow us on Twitter


Skip to toolbar